“The Better Burger” is all the buzz right now on restaurant menus but it’s not actually a new innovation. It started in Los Angeles in 1950 on The Sunset Strip with the founding of Harry & Marilyn Lewis’s Hamburger Hamlet.
By the time the Lewis’ sold the prominent enterprise in 1987 they were some 30 very busy company-owned units in California, Arizona, Chicago and the Washington, D.C. area.
The Hamlets were so popular at their height that in Beverly Hills (where the Lewis’ lived) there was a flagship Hamburger Hamlet on N. Bedford Dr. and another on S. Beverly Drive just below Wilshire within a short walk of each other. The popular Sunset Strip location (near the original Hamlet) was less than a mile away!
Marilyn passed away on May 3rd and we reminisce about the pioneering legacy of Hamburger Hamlet – “Known for Simply Marvelous Food & Drink.”