by Laura Theodore
- 1 can (15 to 16 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2/3 cup plus 2 heaping tablespoons prepared salsa, plus more as needed (see note)
- 3 slices vegan whole-grain or gluten-free bread, torn into chunks
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2/3 cup gluten-free, old fashioned rolled oats
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a large, rimmed baking pan with unbleached parchment paper. Put the black beans and salsa in a medium-sized bowl and mash using a potato masher or large fork until well combined. Put the bread chunks and cumin in a blender and process into coarse crumbs. Add the bread crumbs to the black bean mixture and stir to combine. Stir in the rolled oats and mix to combine. If the mixture seems dry, stir in another heaping tablespoon of salsa and mix to combine.
Scoop up a generous 1/2 cup of the black bean mixture and put it on the prepared pan. Form it into a burger, shaping it with clean hands, and then flatten it slightly. Continue in this manner until you have formed a total of 6 burgers (see note). Bake for 20 minutes. Flip the burgers and bake for 8 to 12 minutes or until golden.
You may use mild, medium or hot salsa in this recipe.
Once formed, the burgers may be covered and refrigerated for 2 to 6 hours before cooking. Add 5 to 7 minutes to the baking time.