Recipe excerpt from:
Enebla: Recipes from an Ethiopian Kitchen
by Luladey Moges
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 3 Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1-inch cubes
- 3 carrots, chopped into 1- to 2-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 head green cabbage, roughly chopped into bite-size pieces
- 2 medium jalapeño peppers, deseeded and thinly sliced
- In a medium-size pot over medium heat, sauté the onions with the oil. When they start to turn golden brown, about 10 minutes, add the garlic, and chopped potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until the garlic has started to cook and the potatoes have started to cook on each side, about 5 minutes in total.
- Next, add the carrots, turmeric, and salt and pepper to taste and stir for 1 minute. Add the water and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cabbage and jalapeños and mix well. Cover the pan, turn down the heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are soft, 10–15 minutes.