Food Finders, a local food rescue non-profit is organizing “Chefs to the Rescue”, a fall fundraising event on Tuesday, October 18th from 6 – 9pm at the Expo Arts Center in the Bixby Knolls neighborhood of Long Beach. Our own Chef Andrew Gruel will be there with Slapfish.
For this very unusual event, Food Finders is challenging prominent local chefs to create tasting samples and small plates made from perfectly edible and safe rescued, recovered or repurposed food that otherwise would end up being tossed away.
“With 40% of perfectly edible food ending up in our local landfills, and yet one in four of our neighbors considered “food insecure”, we felt this was an opportunity to host a fun event that calls attention to those disturbing statistics and celebrate local chefs’ creativity at the same time,” said Patti Larson, executive director of Food Finders. “We chose this theme for our annual fall fundraiser because it’s not only timely, but aligns perfectly with our mission of reducing not only hunger but food waste.”
Participating chefs include:
- Chef Andrew Gruel, founder of Slapfish restaurants and co-host of the SoCal Restaurant Show on Angels Radio AM830.
- Chef Eric Samaniego – Michael’s on Naples, Long Beach
- Chef Philip Pretty – Restauration, Long Beach
- Chef Arthur Gonzalez – Panxa Cocina and Roe Seafood, Long Beach
- Chef Brad Neumann – Taste Wine-Beer-Kitchen, Long Beach
- Chef “T” Visoth Ouk and Chef Martin Zamora – The Federal Bar, Long Beach
- Chef Paul Buchanan – Primal Alchemy Catering, Long Beach
- Chef Ernesto Hernandez – Tortilla Joe’s, Downtown Disney
- Chef Timothy McDowell – Catal, Downtown Disney
Tickets are $45 per guest or $80 per couple and are available for advance purchase through the Food Finders website.