Recipe excerpt from:
Jazzy Vegetarian: Lively Vegan Cuisine That’s Easy and Delicious, 10th Anniversary Edition
by Laura Theodore
Makes 4 servings
When you need curry in a hurry, this snazzy soup will truly satisfy. Creamy red lentils combined with butternut squash, carrots, baby potatoes, fire roasted tomatoes, cabbage, and curry powder makes a flavorful potage. Serve this delicious dish for an easy and nutritious weeknight meal.
- 3 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
- 2½ cups cubed baby red potatoes and/or baby white potatoes (leave peels on)
- 2⅓ cups sliced carrots (peeling is optional)
- 2 cups peeled, seeded, and cubed butternut squash or sweet potatoes
- 1⅓ cups chopped celery, with leaves
- 1 cup red lentils, sorted and rinsed (see note)
- 1 can (28 ounces) fire roasted diced tomatoes, with juice
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 large vegan bouillon cube, crumbled
- 9 cups water
Put all of the ingredients in a soup pot and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Once boiling, decrease the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 50 minutes to 1 hour, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender and the lentils are soft. Serve hot.
NOTE: To sort the lentils, spread them out in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Remove any stones, dirt, broken lentils, or other debris. The lentils are now ready to be rinsed and used in your recipe. You may also sort split peas or dried beans in this manner.